This is a list of possibly misleading metrics.
Metrics are judged to be misleading if they meet the following criteria:
- The website for the metric is nontransparent and provides little information about itself such as location, management team and its experience, other company information, and the like
- The company charges journals for inclusion in the list.
- The values (scores) for most or all of the journals on the list increase each year.
- The company uses Google Scholar as its database for calculating metrics (Google Scholar does not screen for quality and indexes predatory journals)
- The metric uses the term “impact factor” in its name.
- The methodology for calculating the value is contrived, unscientific, or unoriginal.
- The company exists solely for the purpose of earning money from questionable journals that use the gold open-access model. The company charges the journals and assigns them a value, and then the journals use the number to help increase article submissions and therefore revenue. Alternatively, the company exists as a front for an existing publisher and assigns values to that publisher’s journals.
- AE Global Index
- Advanced Science Index
- African Quality Centre for Journals
- American Standards for Journals and Research (ASJR)
- Arab Impact Factor (معامل التأثير العربي)
- Digital Identification Database System (DIDS)
- Digital Online Identifier-Database System (DOI Indexed Journals Impact Factor / DOIJIF)
- Directory of Indexing and Impact Factor (DIIF)
- Directory of Journal Quality Factor
- Directory of Research Journals Indexing (DRJI)
- Impact Factor Services for International Journals (IFSIJ)
- Index Scientific Journals (ISJ)
- Infobase Index
- Institute for Science Information (ISI)
- International Accreditation and Research Council (IARC)
- International Impact Factor Services
- International Innovative Journal Impact Factor (IIJIF)
- International Institute for Research
- International Institute of Organized Research (I2OR)
- International Journal Impact Factor (IJIF)
- International Scientific Indexing (ISI)
- International Scientific Institute (ISI)
- International Services for Impact Factor and Indexing (ISIFI)
- International Society for Research Activity Journal Impact Factor (ISRA JIF)
- Jour Informatics
- Journal Impact Factor
- Journals Impact Factor (JIFACTOR)
- Journal Influence Factor
- Journals Consortium. Journal Influence Factor (JIF)
- JPR Impact Factor
- Science Impact Factor
- Scientific Indexing Services
- Scientific Journal Impact Factor
- SCIJOURNAL.ORG (International Scientific Institute)
- SPARC Indexing
- Systematic Impact Factor